Well, my liver numbers WERE good last week…
They aren’t anymore. I went into the cancer center today for infusion #9, but I wasn’t able to have my treatment because my liver enzymes had spiked again. And this is after a 4-day weekend after only 3 50% doses. This is not encouraging! But, as I have said before, it is what it is.
There is nothing I can do but wait. Treatment to prevent my melanoma from coming back is not worth it if I don’t have a working liver anymore!
So, what’s next?
I have tomorrow and Wednesday off, hopefully allowing my liver numbers to normalize.
Thursday we will check my bloodwork again. If the numbers are good, I will have a treatment at 25% of the normal dose. If the numbers are still too high, we will wait and re-evaluate on Monday.
It is frustrating to be in what should be my 4th week of treatment, but only have completed 8 treatments. There are moments when it feels like this will never end. If my numbers stay perfect starting now, I will finish treatment on January 22nd. However, considering what those pesky enzymes have been doing, it is hard to imagine that there won’t be any further delays.
There is also a chance that my doctor and I will decide that this treatment is too toxic and that I need to stop. To be honest, that option is sounding better and better. I am compiling a list of questions for my doctor, and we will go over them next week (my doctor will not be there on Thursday when we check my numbers again). If we decide to stop treatment, I would continue to have periodic CT Scans and bloodwork, but I would be able to start getting back to “real life.”
Thank you for your continued prayers! They get me through the days like today!